There is no excuse...

(This is my cute dad)

I have been thinking a lot about the topic I am going to be writing about today.  It has especially been on my mind since August 14th when my brother, Chan gave his homecoming talk after returning home from the Boston, Mass. mission.  His talk hit me like a ton of bricks, it was amazing.  His talk was on Obedience

To back up a little bit.... before Chan left on his mission he was set apart as a full time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  In the blessing Chan was told that he needed to be completely obedient to the commandments and to whatever rules the Mission President had set in order to receive all the blessings promised and to find many people to teach the Gospel to.  So, Chan did just that, he was completely obedient and successful all the way up until September 12th 2010.  This was the day our dear father passed away.  It was so incredibly hard for us! It was the hardest trial we had ever been through, especially for Chan who was all the way across the Country!  It was hard for him to get out of bed in the morning, let alone go and preach the Gospel daily.  Our dad and Chan were so close, they were the best of friends... not only that but he was such a huge support and reason that Chan was even out on his mission.  As time passed Chan met up with his Mission President and his Wife to explain how hard of a time he was having.  He explained how it was hard for him to go out and preach the Gospel because of how hard and sad this time was.  Right then the mission president's wife said some very bold and profound words.  She said "Elder, there is no excuse for disobedience."  Those words hit him to the very core, he knew that he needed to be obedient to get through the trial, to be happy and to make our dad proud.  He did just that, and his mission was such a huge success and blessing in his life!

There are so many little things in our lives that maybe are pushing the line of obedience and disobedience.  I have been wanting for so many years to get my second ear piercing.  I know that sounds really weird, and lots of people have that done.  But something President Hinckley said has stuck with me for many years.  He told women to only have one ear piercing, period.  It's just so hard for me to understand sometimes why things are the way that they are.  Why there are certain commandments that we have to follow.  But I know that it is there for a reason, we are told to do certain things for a reason!  It's so hard for us to look at the big picture of why we are really here and why we are asked to do certain things.  But I do know that if we follow the commandments and listen to what the Prophet and apostles say we will be blessed!  We may not see the blessings right away, but I know we will eventually.  We will see the beauty of life and the eternities unfold before us if we constantly strive to be obedient.

Remember: "There is no excuse for disobedience"

What can we each take out of our lives today to be a little more obedient?


Comments

  1. Well said my dear! I love Chan's mission president and wife! They are totally inspired! Love this post! You are an inspiration! Hang in there! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'm having a baby!!!

5 years since dads death, 5 lessons learned.

Perfect at Trying