A Beacon to the World


Two weeks ago I was able to speak in Sacrament Meeting in our new ward.  The topic was from April 2011 General Conference on Temples.  It was amazing!!  I learned so much from that talk and I want to share with all of you a little from that talk....

I truly feel that doing temple work is one of the most important things we can do here on earth.  There are so many people who have died without the Gospel in their lives who are waiting for someone to do that for them here on earth.  President Monson in his talk spoke about how the opportunity that he has had to dedicate and rededicate temples has been among the most enjoyable and sacred of the blessings he has received since becoming the Prophet. 

In the October General Conference in 1902, Church President Joseph F Smith said that one day he hoped that we would “have temples built in the various parts of the world where they are needed for the convenience of the people” 

During the first 150 years following the organization of the Church, from 1830 to 1980, 21 temples were built.  Contrast that with the 30 years since 1980, during which 115 temples were built and dedicated.  Over 26 temples are now in the construction phase.  The goal President Smith hoped for is now a reality!!!!

The church has such a desire to make temples accessible to it's saints.  Over 85% of the saints around the world live within 200 miles of a temple!  

Why do you think the church is so focused on that, why is it so important to have temples and to attend?

I think there are many reasons... Being sealed for time and all eternity, service (we gain so much from this, doing work for people who have passed on who can't do it for themselves, better understanding why we are here on this earth.  Etc. Etc.  There are so many blessings in attending the temple.

One of the most amazing aspects of the temple to me personally, is that temples literally stand as a beacon that life beyond the grave is real and as certain as life today.  My dad passed away over a year ago.... I know that he is doing missionary work and serving others in the Spirit World and I need to do my part here on the earth, to help that process.  When we serve in the House of the Lord we are blessing countless lives and it really is amazing when you think about it.  

I am so grateful for Temples and the peace and love I feel when I attend.  I challenge each of you to go as much as you can.  If you are not currently worthy I challenge you to do everything in your power to BE worthy and to ALWAYS hold a temple recommend.  It is vital.  

I love this quote:


“I know your lives are busy, I know that you have much to do.  But I make you a promise that if you will go to the house of the Lord, you will be blessed; life will be better for you.”
-President Gordon B. Hinckley
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 years since dads death, 5 lessons learned.

I'm having a baby!!!

Perfect at Trying