For Dad

God did not send us here to earth to fail.  He sent us here because he knew of our potential and knew who we could become. He gives us trials to refine us, to bring us closer to him and to cause us to seek His loving guidance.

Everyone's life has a different story.  A different start, middle and ending.  

From the time I can remember, my dad had suffered with Crohns disease.  {For those of you who haven't heard of it or don't know what it is, look it up.}  This was a huge trial on my family.  He had the absolute worst of it all.  Think of having constant cramps in your stomach, every day all day.  What manner of living would that cause you to want to have?  I know that when I have cramps of any kind, all I want to do is lay down and do absolutely nothing.

There were a few times where he probably should have died.  Like when his liver started hardening, and after much fasting, prayer and priesthood blessings he miraculously had a healthy liver again.  The doctors could only call it a complete miracle.  

Or the time he couldn't walk, so my mom and I basically carried him to the car to get him to the hospital as soon as possible.  He eventually got better and miraculously went on living his life.

Or the time that he fell off the roof while putting up Christmas lights and walked away with a mere broken ankle.  Once again a complete miracle.

What I am trying to get at is that out of anyone I've ever met, my dad went through a lot of trials.   Which in turn were trials to our family.  But, we didn't view them as such because we were and are so blessed despite them all.

These trials caused my dad to be one of the most valiant men that I have had the privilege of meeting.  In the scriptures we learn about people of our day whom are called, "the noble and great ones" and I am here to tell you that without a doubt he is one of them.

Over the last few days, I have been able to reflect on my dad, his life, his funeral and all of the things in between.  Because, I recently have lost another beloved family member, my Grandpa Wootton.  These men were the salt of the earth.

My dad didn't go to the people who were prestigious, of high stature or the best at what they did.  He went to the down trodden, the lost, the lonely and the heartbroken.  He became friends with the janitors, the homeless guy on the corner by his office and the snotty kid down the street. 

He had a corporate job as the head accountant, but chose to work at a retirement center the last year of his life in the evenings because, "he didn't feel like he was helping people enough."  What grown man has enough love that he sacrifices his time to go help at an elderly center?  That's right, my dad. 

My dad has taught me that no trial is too big, no heartache so hurtful, no sin commited that the Saviors atonement doesn't cover.  My dad was the epitome of a Christ Like man.  He made me want to be a better person.  He did this in a silent manner, no shove down your throat stuff.  In many ways I feel like he was sent here just for me.  Without him and my mom, I wouldn't be the woman I am today.

It brings tears to my eyes to reflect on his funeral.  It was a packed church building.  The overflow was opened and people were filling the gym.  I knew that he was loved, but what I didn't expect was the love I felt from God.  Despite losing one of my greatest heroes, I felt love and peace.  God loved me, His daughter and knew of the hurt and pain I was feeling.  Yet deep down inside I knew I'd see my dad again and I was grateful he wasn't in pain anymore.

The elderly people from the retirement center made the trek to his viewing.  I'll never forget the tears that welled up in my eyes as I saw these sweet people coming through the line.  They loved my dad, he gave them so much the last year of his life.  I know many of them have probably passed on, and I cry thinking of those sweet reunions as they thank my dad for his service, despite all the pain he himself was in.

My dad has taught me so many things. To love God, to serve others, to not complain, to always be kind, to be a good sport, to love all mankind, to judge none, to fight, and to have a good sense of humor through it all.

What I've learned over the last almost 4 1/2 years after my dads death is that, he is still helping me.  He is still very much involved in my life.  He was there the day I married my Justin, the night my Baylee was born, he was there the day I graduated.  He knows my hurts, pains and sorrows on a deeper level than he ever could have here.  

I've learned that just because he is beyond the veil, doesn't mean he's not right here with me along the way.  I've been blessed with this knowledge and I know without a doubt that because he is with me, I have been blessed in aspects that wouldn't have happened without him on the other side.

I have a firm testimony of the Gospel and it's truthfulness.  I have a firm testimony of the restored Gospel and Joseph Smith.  I have a firm testimony of the Plan of Salvation.  And most importantly, I have a firm testimony of the life my Heavenly Father and my earthly father wants me to live.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm having a baby!!!

5 years since dads death, 5 lessons learned.

Perfect at Trying