21 and divorced.

When you grow up in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and you dream of your future, it's always inside of one of the beautiful temples and its always a forever thing. You never imagine that one day you could be standing alone, in the dark, in a place you never thought you'd be. You never imagine that something that is supposed to last forever, doesn't.

This is where I found myself in 2009. Just one short year after being sealed for time and all eternity. At the young age of 21. 

Flash forward to last week.... as I was packing up my house I came across some paperwork from that dark time in my life. It brought back a flood of emotions and memories.... memories that aren't beautiful. Memories that hurt and that I allowed to cause me a lot of pain. It reminded me what a hard time that was for me. I've always felt like I've had to be a strong person, but this time in my life truly tried to take me down. 

Sometimes in life it is the very darkest before the dawn. 

During one of the hardest times in my life, I also spent the most time in conversation with God. He became my best friend. I learned more about myself, and the atonement than I ever could have any other way. I learned just how strong I am, with God on my side. I learned that God doesn't always want marriages to stay together and to think that is completely judgmental. I learned to never judge another's journey, and think I know what's best for someone else's life. 

Until you've walked a mile in someone else's shoes, its not your place to judge their life choices. Unfortunately I saw the ugly side of judgment. But, I also saw the beautiful side of compassion, empathy and understanding. 

I was humbled & teachable and instead of asking "Why God?" I asked, "What can I learn from this?"

I learned empathy and understanding. I learned to utilize my dark times to help others through theirs. So as I continue in my journey to impact, inspire and connect with others I hope that by me sharing a piece of my story it has inspired you to get up and keep trudging forward knowing that there are brighter days ahead. Better days than you could ever imagine, if you will only believe that is true. I'm living proof of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 years since dads death, 5 lessons learned.

I'm having a baby!!!

Perfect at Trying